Ever since we upgraded to a king size bed we have not gotten a headboard. First off I am not sure why they are sooooooooooooo much more expensive than queen size ones. They are not that much wider. Anyway, a while back I had originally planned on making an upholstered headboard. I bought fabric and batting but holy smokes the foam was so expensive, I kept putting it off. I have seen many DIY headboards out of old doors and after looking into we decided that was the way to go. We bought an old door and some molding and then Chris got to work.
He sanded down the door, cut it down some, attached the molding and then primed it with black primer. I then painted it with the leftover paint from our coffee table and added a deeper blue and added calcium carbonate to make it chalk paint. First I took an old candle and rubbed it along a lot of the edges so I could distress it better. After 2 coats of paint had dried, i first started sanding with a brown paper bag, then I went through with fine, medium, and course grit sandpaper in random areas so that the distressing did not look too uniform. After I was done sanding I glazed the heck out of it so that it would really get into the cracks. We finished it with Annie Sloan wax and it turned out perfect!
We mounted it to the wall and that was a little tricky cause the window sills were in the way, but it makes a huge impact in our room. Now our mismatched lamps and nightstands look crappy... i se another project in our future:)
Ok, enough with the jibjab here are some pics.
I unfortunately don't have a before pic. It was a dirty white door.
This is after I finished sanding.
A close up of the molding after sanding.
This is after it was glazed.
A close up, Glazed and waxed
Mounted on the wall in our room:)