Monday, June 6, 2011

I am going on a Journey

On July 1st, I am embarking on a great adventure! I will be going to Cuba to do mission work in Havana with a team through my Church, Hyde Park United Methodist and UMVIM (United Methodist Volunteers in Mission).

This will be a deeply rooted journey for me as I have spent my whole life hearing stories of the lives my grandparents once had in Cuba, before the Revolution.  Growing up we always sent our hand-me-downs and photos to our relatives who still live there.  I still sift through the hundreds of photos at my Abuela's house, that have captured the beautiful and glamorous life my family had while they were there.

My Abuela Isabel Muller, age 20 at the President's wife's ball
This is one of my favorites!

 My Abuelo's Wedding

 My Abuela and Abuelo Isabel and Elio 

On their Honeymoon

Isabel at 18 when she was at the teachers academy

That's my dad in the front, shooting his gun at the camera.

These are just a few photos...

I will be meeting lots of family for the first time and I know it will be very emotional for me.

Aside from my family there, I hope to experience a profound spiritual connection working with the Methodist church to help restore a part of the Seminary in Havana and experience how God is moving through the people there.  Most of all, I am really excited that I will be sharing this entire experience with my mother who is leading the trip.  She is an amazing person and I am so proud of her.

She is American by birth, but now just as Cuban as the rest of our relatives!

Our team will be blogging about or time there through the church blog.  And this past Sunday we had the pleasure of having the Cuban Bishop give the Sermon at our church.

If you would like to read the Hyde Park UMC Blog, go HERE
And if you would like to hear the Bishop's Sermon go HERE
(9:30 service June 5th)

I will be giving more updates about this trip as we get closer and when I return I hope to have tons of pictures and excerpts from my journal to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature